We are looking for an innovative, risk-taking, results-oriented Executive Chef who sees artistic expression in the Two Bit Circus kitchen as an extension of our innovation in games, social interactive experiences, and robots! In this position, you will help bring our brand to life by inventing the tastes of our Brand as well as defining the gastronomic journey for guests of our very first micro-amusement park in DTLA.
Who are you? You are creative, innovative, believe in forging new gastronomic trends and you have a talent for creating what tastes damn good! The term “lifestyle brand” ignites a spark within you inspiring all the opportunities for food & beverage to set the tone, smells, tastes, and feelings your guests will consume within the park. While this is not a formal dining restaurant (the menu will be small bites and shareables), you understand the impact needs to be strong!
You expect consistency and accuracy in execution and understand how to train your staff to meet those expectations. You jump into the fray and figure things out on the fly, because where we are going there is no map (there may also be dragons, but we love dragons!)
Pre-Park Opening Responsibilities:
- Responsible to create menu for food and drinks based on Two Bit Circus’ Brand and corporate philosophy, help develop the overall look and taste of our Brand; Collaborate with F&B Manager;
- Create recipes; Create pairing menu items for select beverages; Create walk-around menu items
- Test recipes for corporate approval;
- Create standard for culinary department including standard of excellence in quality, cleanliness and sanitation standards;
- Interview, Select, Hire and Train initial culinary staff prior to park opening;
- Willingness to accept the most effective role.
- Manage all employees of the culinary department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department;
- Make periodic and regular inspections to observe quality of food preparation and service; food appearance; and cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment and employee appearance;
- Coordinate all training activities for kitchen, bakery, butchery and other production and service employees, including the identification and analysis of training needs and the design and implementation of programs to address these deficiencies;
- Develop recipes and portion specifications in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints; participate in other menu planning activities to include the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development;
- Assist F&B Manager as requested in areas such as plate presentation, special function menu planning and the design of new service areas.
- Prepare operational reports and analyses setting forth progress and adverse trends and make appropriate recommendations.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
- Extraordinary culinary skills; Prior experience as an executive chef.
- Prior experience training, purchasing and managing budgets.
- Successfully manages people to achieve performance goals. Excellent people management skills including resolving conflict, coaching and developing others, promoting teamwork, and performance management.Expects excellence from others and tolerates no less. Inspires people to accomplish the extraordinary.
- Takes an exhaustive approach to every task. Committed to comprehensive and in-depth analysis, planning, and implementation of every work effort.
- Strong multi-tasking skills. Completes several concurrent tasks.
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience.
- This position requires long hours and weekend work.
- Work Environment
- The work environment can be loud and busy. There are many kitchen hazards such as hot surfaces and liquids, sharp knives, and slippery floors.
The employee is required to stand for long periods as well as walk, bend and stoop. The position requires working taste buds, ability to smell, feel with fingers and visually inspect, including close and distance vision. The position requires ability to use arms, hands and manipulate fingers to reach, stir, measure, pour, cut, chop, dice, decorate, etc.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This position regularly requires long hours and weekend work.